Visit the Our Organization pages to learn more about working with us Service Area Legal & Corporate Services/City Solicitor’s Office File # M-52-19E Posting Closed Date 10/8/2019 Job Code PB624 Position Title Solicitor I Position Type Temporary – Full Time Employee Group Management Summary of Duties Reporting to and under the general supervision of the City Solicitor, acts as solicitor, counsel and advisor to The Corporation of the City of London in legal matters generally of average or above average complexity, requiring an appropriate degree of experience, skill and competence. Work Performed
- Acts as solicitor, counsel and advisor, or assists more senior counsel, in all aspects of one or more of the following areas of the practice of law, as assigned by the City Solicitor.
- Municipal law enforcement and provincial offences, ADMINISTRATIVE TRIBUNALS , business law (including but not restricted to banking, bills of exchange, bankruptcy and insolvency, business and no-share corporations, bulk sales, carriers, construction liens, copyright, trade marks and protection of intellectual property, and trade and commerce), contracts, CIVIL LITIGATION AND PROCEDURE (including but not restricted to negligence and other torts), debtors and creditors, personal and real property, and real estate (including but not restricted to easements, expropriations, mortgages, secured transactions, landlord and tenant, trespass, and water and water courses) ENVIRONMENTAL LAW , municipal corporations (including but not restricted to municipal assessment and taxation, public authorities and officers, public utilities, and social welfare), highways and streets (including but not restricted to highway traffic), labour relations, (including but not restricted to opinions regarding discipline and discharge, arbitration, judicial reviews, Workers’ Compensation Benefits and Worker’s Compensation Appeal Tribunal Hearings and employment law, in general), insurance, AND LAND USE PLANNING .
- Discharges such other responsibilities as may be assigned by the City Solicitor.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor and membership in good standing in the Law Society of Upper Canada. Experience
- Four to five years, preferably in municipal law.
- Able to speak, write and read French at an advanced level is an asset.
Compensation Range $94,762 to $128,935 Other Information This is a permanent position being filled on a temporary basis for up to two years.
BOLD, CAPS AND UNDERLINE The above “Work Performed” is the full scope of the Solicitor I position. As this posting is only for a “Temporary – up to 2 years” position, the work expected to be performed will concentrate on the highlighted areas: Administrative Tribunals, Civil Litigation and Procedure, Environmental Law and Land Use Planning.
Important Instructions IF AVAILABLE, PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR TRANSCRIPTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION (Under the Documents Section). Please note successful candidates will be asked to provide a Criminal Records Check (CRC) dated within the last six months. This documentation would not be required until further in the recruitment process (following the interview stage if selected).
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.