The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Payroll and Benefits Associate within the Human Resources department. Reporting to the HR Manager, Total Rewards and HR Systems, the successful candidate will provide support in the areas of payroll, benefits, compensation, and human resources information systems (HRIS). Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Process payroll using Kronos and JD Edwards; verify payroll accuracy by running variance reports and making corrections for the City’s five payroll runs
- Complete manual calculations, review time entry and employee file changes for compliance with collective agreements, City policies and applicable legislation
- Data entry related to time and attendance, payroll, pension and benefits
- Assist timekeepers and approvers with payroll related inquires
- Maintain employee master data files in JD Edwards, including new hire set up and filing
- Respond to employee queries relating to payroll, benefits and pension
- Conduct new hire orientation
- Administer the payroll and benefits intranet webpages and perform basic content maintenance and updates as required
- Assist other department staff with special projects, as needed, including data entry and researching leading practices
- Develop standard operating procedures
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
- Experience related to the duties above, normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary education in Human Resources, Business or a related field and completion of the Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience administering payroll in a multi-union environment
- Experience processing payroll with JD Edwards and/or experience utilizing time and attendance functionality with Kronos is considered an asset
- Understanding of general payroll and benefits procedures and practices including but not limited to: HRIS administration, employee records, pension and benefit administration, handling of confidential or sensitive information
- Superior customer service and interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate and work collaboratively with a wide range of individuals including employees, agencies and external contacts
- Excellent organizational skills with strong focus on detail and accuracy
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook); including ability to create complex spreadsheets using advanced formulas and features
- Experience interpreting collective agreement language and communicating with tact, diplomacy while maintaining confidentiality
- Knowledge of relevant workplace and employment legislation such as: Employment Standards Act, Pay Equity Act and Human Rights Act
$53,560.19 to $66,950.24 per year