Reporting to the CAO, the Manager, Planning Services is responsible for the leadership,
management and delivery of effective, coordinated, professional land use planning on behalf of
the County. The position is the delegated Approval Authority for the approval of plans of
subdivision and condominium, part lot control by-laws, and local Official Plan amendments.
Responsible for the continuous monitoring and updating of the County Official Plan that
establishes the broad policy framework for the County’s long-term planning strategy in
accordance with the Planning Act and the Provincial Policy Statement. The Manager provides
leadership on land use planning for the County and seven local municipalities, and serves as
the County liaison and administrative resource to inter-municipal committees and corporate
working groups/teams, and represents the County at the regional and provincial level as
• Establishment, maintenance and implementation of the County of Essex Official Plan and other
planning related documents. This may involve defending the municipality before the Local
Planning Appeal Tribunal.
• Provides oversight of planning policies and procedures development, including, but not limited
to, research, development and preparation of approval processes for various applications,
agreements, guidelines, terms of reference, by-laws and amendments.
• Provides professional advice to Council and the public on a full range of planning applications
including plans of subdivision/condominium, official plans and amendments, part lot control
applications, and consents and minor variances in both urban and rural environments.
• Prepares reports for, and attend Council meetings, as required.
• Recommends and implements land use policies that direct the nature, type and location of
future development within the County.
• Responsible for long range future planning and special projects/studies.
• Develops and implements an overall work program for special studies within the department,
including managing the work of outside consultants.
• Coordinate and liaise between County departments, public organizations, local associations and
• Preparation and oversight of the department budget.
• Masters degree in Planning, Geography or related field or equivalent combination of education
and progressively responsible work experience.
• Several years of varied planning experience, both rural and urban, preferably in a municipal
• Ontario Municipal Board and/or Local Planning Appeal Tribunal experience.
• Member or eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Ontario
Professional Planners Institute.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain, designation as a Registered Professional Planner (RPP)
licensed to practice in Ontario.
• Must have a working knowledge and ability to interpret the Ontario Planning Act, the Provincial
Policy Statement, and other related provincial legislation and regulations.
• Dedicated to a high degree of professionalism and setting standards of excellence.
• Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, facilitation and negotiation skills.
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills including proven ability to
establish and maintain effective relationships with all levels of the organization, members of
Council, government bodies and members of the public.
• A creative thinker with proven analytical, problem solving, negotiation and conflict management
skills that are resolution oriented.
• Ability to interpret and apply applicable provincial and federal legislation.
• Self-starter with the ability to organize work, resources, and meet multiple demands and
• Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and experience with all aspects of budget preparation and
• Strong computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
• Ability to travel, work a flexible schedule and meet deadlines.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online by visiting the Career Opportunities section
of our website www.countyofessex.on.ca no later than Monday December 3, 2018.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be
acknowledged. Personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for the purpose of this employment opportunity only.
The Corporation of the County of Essex supports diversity in the workplace.
The County of Essex will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified
individuals with disabilities in the recruitment and selection process.