Reporting to the Project Supervisor,
The incumbent will:
– Provide site inspection services on major road reconstruction projects including bridges, sanitary sewers, and watermains
– Review site conditions and recommend design parameters and/or construction methods
– Prepare as built sketches
– Review contract documents for constructability, utility conflicts, errors or omissions prior to tendering
– Maintain accurate records of payment quantities and completed work – Provide progressive and final field measurements of tender items for monthly and/or final payment
– Resolve unforeseen construction and/or design related problems
– Liaise with the public, other Regional departments, regulatory authorities, consultants and local municipal staff
– Advise Supervisor on the extent and impact of construction change directives
– Foresee and/or respond directly to issues/questions presented by stakeholders
– Regulate compliance with safety regulations
– Inspect and review contractors work procedure with respect to traffic protection plan and general safety
– Attend various training to stay current with all legislation and Regional practices.
The successful applicant will possess:
– A two-year post-secondary diploma in Civil Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
– Registration or eligible for registration as a Technician with O.A.C.E.T.T.
– Several years of related work experience – Knowledge and understanding of Regional design guidelines for potable water and wastewater distribution systems, road and bridge construction, construction surveying principles, construction contract tendering procedures, appurtenance testing, sampling and disinfection of watermains
– Knowledge and understanding of Region of Durham Standards and Specifications for construction projects, Region of Durham Design Guidelines and Standard Drawings, Ontario Provincial Standards and Specification (OPSS and OPSD) and Ministry of Transportation Traffic Control Manual
– Effective verbal and written communication, customer service, negotiation, conflict resolution, problem solving, time management and organizational skills – A valid Ontario Class 'G' Driver's Licence
CUPE 1764 Salary Grade 7
This position is with Salary Grade 7 and will be paid at the following hourly rates:
– Start: $39.65 – Six Month: $41.85 – Job: $44.05
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online (www.durham.ca) no later than midnight on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Consultant will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region's Accommodation and Accessibility policies.
Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.