The Municipality of Chatham-Kent has an opening for a Business Analyst with Information Technology Services. The Business Analyst operates as the relationship manager between the ITS department and all business areas with respect to their departmental business needs relating to information technology. The Business Analyst takes a lead role in the preparation and monitoring of the business planning process and ensures that goals and objectives are being met along with actively searching out new technologies and methods for project implementation. The Business Analyst works with the ITS Management Team to ensure that appropriate technology standards are in place and enforced within the municipality which will support the Network, Communications, Security, Hardware, Software, Web, Database, GIS and .Net infrastructure environment. This position is for a period up to two years
About Information Services:
The information services team is responsible for administration and support of all corporate applications used by the Municipality of Chatham-Kent including our internal and external websites, content management system, finance, payroll, tax, human resources, recreation programming, customer response systems, geographic information systems, permits, licensing, inspection, traffic engineering and public health. Information Services also provides business analysis support for business process assessment and improvement and service requests.
- Gather user and system requirements to determine the business needs of project stakeholders
- Document current business processes 'as is', performing the gap analysis comparison to 'desired' outcomes, and providing the recommendations for solving the gaps
- Review all project deliverables that are related to requirements, solution design and testing ensuring that business needs are addressed
- Work with the ITS Management Team as well as other Business Analysts to ensure appropriate interconnection between all critical information services within the Municipality
- Manage and track status of requirements
- Perform analysis tasks on implementing new applications and change requests for existing applications
- Assist in research on software and hardware products to justify recommendations and support purchasing efforts
- Leverage technology to streamline processes and reduce overall effort and cost
- Translate user and business requirements into functional requirements and specification documents for use by the project team or developers
- Create process models, specifications, diagrams and charts to provide direction and associated documentation
- Communicate changes, enhancements and modifications to project stakeholders to ensure understanding of issues and solutions
- The analyst will often work as part of a project team and may take on the role of project lead on small to medium type projects
Ability to demonstrate Chatham-Kent’s Core Values and Competencies through a combination of education and experience:
- College diploma or university degree (preferably in the field of computer science or business informatics) with two to four years of related experience; or a combination of related education and experience
- Minimum of two years leadership experience in a web related software or application development environment is required
- Minimum of two years business analysis experience
- A working knowledge of business process documentation and the development of Use Cases
- Experience working with a Systems Development Life Cycle based software development methodology
- Experience in Microsoft SharePoint including the construction of Web Parts
- Experience with the .NET environment, Microsoft SQL and web services
- Working knowledge of Project/Portfolio Management Software, Visio (or similar software programs)
- Strong computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) (or other similar software program)
- All employees will be required to complete their Health & Safety and other on-line mandatory training on or before their first day of employment; other training (including Health & Safety policies) may also be required
- Experience with Internet, corporate intranet and extranet websites is an asset
Certifications, memberships, licenses:
- Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) Certification would be an asset
- Microsoft Knowledge Worker Certification would be an asset
- SQL Server Development Certification would be an asset
- Implementation experience with SharePoint would be an asset
- Unified Modeling Language (UML) certification would be an asset
- Microsoft Certified Professional Designations would be an asset
This position works indoors.
Hours of Work:
This position works weekdays, with occasional evening and weekend hours.
Police check requirements
Because of the environment this position will be working in, the successful candidate will be required to furnish an original Police Information Search (criminal reference check) prior to commencement of employment.
Essential physical and/or safety requirements:
- Sitting: constant sitting in chair
- Hands: constant fine finger dexterity (movement) and mousing
This temporary full-time position has an hourly wage rate of $39.293 to $44.453 (based on grade 8 of the 2019 non-union full-time market adjustment plan), plus 15% in lieu of benefits (which includes health & dental benefits, statutory & non-statutory holidays, and non-enrolment in OMERS) and 4% vacation pay. Where a permanent employee is receiving benefits and is the successful candidate for a temporary vacancy, benefits will remain as per the policy manual.
Candidates interested in the above position are asked to submit our application form (found under ‘job posting and application form’ section at the bottom of our job ad at Municipal Jobs) and a resume to the email address below. Please do not include a cover letter, or copies of transcripts, licenses, certificates, etc. Please only download the application form onto a computer or laptop; it doesn’t load correctly onto a phone, tablet, or iPad. You should see boxes beside yes and no that you click in to answer the question.
What we look for in the application form and resume: Detailed information in the boxes provided under each question in the career profile application form where you have answered ‘yes’. Your resume should provide the same detailed information. In both documents, list under each employer the following: (1) the job titles (2) dates you were in each position (3) a summary of the job duties/ skills/experiences you gained in each position. The same information needs to be in both the career profile application form and the resume. Please be sure to check the box beside yes or no for each question asked in the career profile application form.
Please send attachments in a Word (.doc or .docx) or Adobe (.pdf) format only. Attachments must be attached directly to your email; we are not able to download documents from an internet site.
Internal Municipal Employees only:
When internal employees are applying to temporary vacancy and want to maintain their permanent status, positions posted as “temporary” may be filled with permanent employees (full-time, part-time and call-in) who want to keep their permanent status provided their ability to be released to a temporary position is reviewed and approved with their current manager/supervisor before submitting an application.
We encourage all to apply, including women, Aboriginal people and visible minorities.
Applications must be received before 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, August 27, 2019 (Ontario daylight savings time):
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
Attn. Jan Richards, Recruitment Officer
315 King Street West
P.O. Box 640
Chatham ON N7M 5K8
Email address: Ckresume@chatham-kent.ca
The Municipality of Chatham-Kent is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fair and accessible employment practices that attract and retain talented employees. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources & Organizational Development (HROD) at 519-360-1998 or email@example.com. Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation and will be used strictly for the purpose of candidate selection. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.