The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Strategic Communications and Program Advisor within the Corporate Communications and Customer Service department. Reporting to the General Manager, Corporate Communications and Customer Service and assigned exclusively to the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer and its member departments, the successful candidate will be the first and main point of contact for strategic communications, tactical implementation, issues management and stakeholder management. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Provide public relations advice, support and coaching to the CAO and service area staff
- Participate in the management of issues at the corporate level; monitor and respond to local and public sector issues that have the potential to impact corporate reputation
- Develop, implement and evaluate strategic communications programs
- Develop and manage service area content for web and social media
- Ensure coordination between the offices of the Mayor and CAO re communications on key issues and initiatives
- Use analytical tools, assess social media content and make recommendations to improve engagement
- Write and edit presentations, speeches, case studies, and other communications materials
- Participate in media relations activities
- Strengthen existing and build new relationships with multiple stakeholders including business and community partners
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in Public Relations or Corporate Communications or a related discipline and considerable experience in an intermediate to senior-level corporate communications role, preferably in the public sector. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Proven experience dealing with sensitive issues
- Solid understanding of strategic public relations best practices with significant experience developing, implementing and evaluating comprehensive communications programs
- Understanding of data analytics, especially with respect to digital communications, and ability to identify metrics to support desired outcomes.
- Ability to establish and maintain co-operative and constructive relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, members of Council and representatives of external organizations
- High level of proficiency with digital communications and social media strategy and practices
- Highly developed sense of political and business acumen
- Excellent project management, facilitation, research, writing and editing skills
- Proven ability to write effectively and edit for a variety of mediums including Web, video, print and others
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Word Press
- Ability to work well under pressure, complete multiple assignments and function effectively in a high volume workplace with tight deadlines
- Proven ability to exercise good judgement and diplomacy
- Previous experience and/or knowledge of municipal government is preferred
$40.06 - $50.08 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Tuesday, June 19, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.