Reporting to the Road Safety Supervisor or Project Engineer, the successful applicant will support the Division's service provision by assisting with coordination of resources for capital and operating programs to facilitate the ongoing improvement and expansion of the Region's transportation infrastructure.
The incumbent will:
- Perform traffic engineering safety reviews by investigating and recommending improvements for existing operations at problematic or safety deficient intersections and roadway segments
- Plan and implement data collection programs to oversee the collection, maintenance and analysis of traffic data
- Respond to enquiries from the public, internal groups and outside agencies.
- Generate detailed engineering designs for installation of traffic control devices and related infrastructure
- Assist in the development of tenders and quotes
- Perform site investigations for quality control, in response to technical questions and make
- recommendations for improvement
- Co-ordinate work with field staff, other divisions, area municipalities, utility companies, consultants and contractors in a diverse traffic engineering and operations environment
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of the Region's centralized traffic signal control systems by analyzing and developing signal timings, methods of control and traffic flow patterns
The successful applicant will possess:
- A post-secondary diploma in Civil Engineering Technology specializing in Transportation or Traffic Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Registration with or be eligible for registration as a Technologist with O.A.C.E.T.T.
- About two years of previous work experience
- Proficiency in software applications such as AutoCAD, MS Office and specialized traffic and GIS
- Knowledge of traffic signal installation, capital road and road safety improvement programs, Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, Ontario Provincial Standards Specifications and Drawings, Ontario Traffic Manual, Ontario Highway Traffic Act, Regional and Municipal By-laws and policies
- Sound engineering judgement and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organization, time management and interpersonal skills
- A valid Ontario class 'G' driver's license
I.M.S.A Traffic Signal Certification would be an asset
CUPE 1764 Salary Grade 6
This position is with Salary Grade 6 and will be paid at the following hourly rates:
- Start: $36.77 - Six Month: $38.81 - Job: $40.85
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online (www.durham.ca) no later than midnight on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Consultant will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region's Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.
Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/regionofdurham Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/regionofdurham