The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city. Job summary
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Council and Committee Coordinator within the City Clerk’s Office. Reporting to the Manager, Legislative Services / Deputy City Clerk, the successful candidate will provide support to City Council and its Committees. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Serve as a key member of the Municipal Election team and work to support the 2018 Municipal Election process
- Provide meeting coordination and secretariat support to Council, its Committees, and key Advisory Committees (as required)
- Manage information and documentation to support the legislative process from the preparation of draft materials to the compilation and production of final and consolidated agendas
- Responsible for tracking draft agenda materials and working with departmental staff to ensure the timely submission of staff reports, presentations and by-laws for the electronic and hard copy distribution of Council and Committee agendas
- Attend Council and Committee meetings to provide support for the related technology components in the Council Chambers, draft minutes and interface with staff and the public to ensure that meetings run efficiently and effectively
- Provide procedural advice, with support from the City Clerk and/or the Manager, Legislative Services / Deputy City Clerk, to staff, Members of Council and the public relating to the City’s Closed Meeting Protocol, Procedural By-law and the Municipal Act
- Regularly interface with staff and the public with respect to the business of Council and manage the dissemination of correspondence resulting from Council actions
- Organize and lead training and development sessions for staff and Members of Council and Committees in relation to meeting management best practices
- Prepare statistical reports related to the agenda production cycle, actions of Council and Committees as well as other various work flow processes supported by the Legislative Services Division
- Conduct research and coordinate projects as required to support the development of new policies and procedures
- Maintain revisions to the City’s governance related policies such as the Procedural By-law, Closed Meeting Protocol, Advisory Committees Policy, Code of Conduct for Council and Local Boards, Striking Committee Policy, etc.
- Responsible for coordinating the appointment of Guelph residents to Advisory Committees, Local Boards and Agencies; ensuring noted vacancies are advertised and filled
- Support other departmental and corporate functions and duties as required
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a degree or diploma in Public Administration, Political Science or a related discipline and experience providing administrative support such as preparing agendas and supporting meetings. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Completion of the AMCTO Municipal Administration Program courses or willingness to complete the program would be an asset
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Ability to work well under pressure, complete multiple assignments and function effectively in a high volume workplace with multiple deadlines necessitating a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to exercise discretion, good judgement, diplomacy and confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with an ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders including Council, senior staff, the media and the public
- Ability to deliver on a work plan comprised of day-to-day tasks as well as to provide input on strategic corporate and departmental work
- Knowledge of legislation pertaining to local government, and in particular, the Municipal Act, Planning Act, Statutory Power Procedures Act and the Municipal Elections Act is an asset
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Availability and flexibility to attend meetings outside normal working hours on a regular basis
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a University Degree in Computer Science or a related discipline and considerable experience in supporting Microsoft Office applications and desktop applications within a large corporate environment. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer or Microsoft Certified Professional certification.
$60,255.21 to $75,319.01 per year
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Thursday, May 24, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.