The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Corporate Analyst – Client Services within the Client Services division of the Finance department. Reporting to the Manager, Finance Client Services, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for assisting City departments with financial support and analysis in the areas of budget preparation, monitoring expenditures, revenues and ensuring proper quality controls are followed consistently and in accordance with policies, procedures and service level commitments. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Develop a solid understanding of designated department’s business activities and how they impact financial processes and planning and ensure ongoing regular communication of financial matters between the Finance Division and designated department staff.
- Assist designated departments in the development of operating and capital budgets.
- Assist designated departments in the development and preparation of all budget documentation and financial presentations as required.
- Assist designated departments and Senior Analysts with the preparation of multi-year forecasts.
- Review the financial performance of designated departments including monthly variance analysis and interim financial reporting.
- Assist designated department staff and senior corporate analysts with financial analysis on major asset additions.
- Provide financial advice on grant applications to designated departments.
- Assist designated departments with user fee and rate analysis (if applicable).
- Attend designated departmental management meetings to understand emerging financial needs and be the department’s financial advisor and be the primary liaison for the department GM to Finance.
- Understand departmental financial business needs and recommend on-going improvements including financial systems, revenue collection processes and financial policies.
- Review financial implications of Council or Committee Reports prior to preview to ensure completeness of information in accordance with approved standards, and ensure Manager is aware of non-routine financial implications.
- Provide training in conjunction with Senior Corporate Analysts on the City’s financial, asset maintenance and budgeting systems.
- Participate in finance client services team meetings.
- Complete special projects or other duties as required.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through completion of a University Degree in Finance/Accounting or related field, senior standing in a professional accounting designation and considerable experience in a related financial planning role, preferably within the public sector. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Proven analytical, organizational, project management and report writing skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
- Advanced skills with financial reporting software, JD Edwards experience preferred.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency and familiarity with data query and analysis tools.
- Ability to work independently and to prioritize to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to attend meetings at offsite locations as required.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
$72,911.82 - $91,139.77 per year
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, May 6, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.