The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Corporate Analyst – Financial Strategy & Planning within the Finance department. Reporting to the Manager of Financial Strategy & Long-term Planning, the successful candidate will work with City staff to ensure that the City’s annual capital budget and tri-annual budget monitoring is presented to Council in a timely manner and reflects the corporate strategies outlined in the Corporate Administrative Plan. Additional responsibilities include debt management, policy review/development and continuous improvements related to the Finance department’s goals and objectives. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Co-ordinates development of the City’s annual capital budget; including Council documents, presentations and coordination of responses to budget queries
- Provides guidance and support to City departments with completion of required budget development activities; data entry, financial analysis, Council documentation and presentation preparation
- Assist with tri-annual capital variance reporting process, providing corporate review of data for accuracy, consistency and alignment with policy
- Complete monthly corporate review of capital project portfolio to ensure timely and accurate project data is maintained and consistent with in-year Council approvals, liaison with the Finance Client Services Corporate Analysts to address inconsistencies
- Provide assistance and support to City departments with business case preparation for major asset additions, including financial modeling and options analysis
- Represent Finance on internal corporate project committees, providing financial advice and support, financial modeling and option analysis
- Responsible for the transaction accounting, funding and long-term planning of the City’s long-term debt portfolio including assisting with the review and update of the Debt Management Policy
- Assist with reserve and reserve fund process, transactions and policy maintenance as required
- Act as a primary Finance liaison with the Project Management and Asset Management Office
- Investigate best practices, conduct research and report results to align with departmental goals; initiates finance process improvements as required
- Develop, update and/or implement corporate financial policies
- Leads special projects as required
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through completion of a university degree, and considerable post designation accounting experience, preferably in a municipal environment, dealing with complex accounting issues and the reporting of those issues in a clear and concise manner. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- A Professional Accounting Designation is preferred or considerable experience that is equivalent
- Ability to analyze and investigate problems, identify alternatives and make recommendations in order to implement procedures and policies
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments in order to meet deadlines in a very demanding service focus environment
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, and stakeholders
- Advanced skills with financial enterprise software, JD Edwards and FMW experience preferred
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
$72,911.82 - $91,139.77 per year
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, May 6, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.