Reporting to the Technical Support Supervisor, the position is in the Water/Wastewater/Maintenance/Sewer-Use By-law areas.
The incumbent will:
- Assist intermediate and senior technical staff in the area of operations and maintenance at the Region's water and wastewater treatment facilities and appurtenances
- Complete reports/records to comply with acts, regulations, guidelines and standards, policies and procedures and enforcement of by-law
- Summarize, review, evaluate and conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis of operations data related to water/wastewater plant production and performance, wastewater loading and treatment efficiency, water and wastewater quality data
- Assist intermediate and senior technical staff in responding to operational process problems impacting water and sewage treatment
- Conduct sampling for regulatory sampling programs
- Assist other technical staff to provide instruction and training to plant and maintenance operation staff and contractors
- Assist in public relations activities through verbal and written communications, promotions, tour presentations, information distribution and respond to customer inquiries related to water quality and wastewater effluent concerns
The successful applicant will possess:
- A post secondary diploma in Environmental, Chemical, Civil Engineering or Food and Drug Technology or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certification as a Water or Wastewater Operator, or a Water Quality Analyst
- Registration with or eligible for registration with O.A.C.E.T.T. as an Engineering Technologist
- Knowledge and understanding of procedures and principles of water and wastewater treatment processes such as standard methods for examination of water/wastewater, Ministry of Environment and Climate Change acts and regulations and compliance programs
- Knowledge of adverse water quality response procedures, sampling protocol and the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Experience working with MS Office software, GIS and internet based programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, investigative, problem solving, organizational, project management and presentation skills
- Able to participate in Technical Support on-call and have a valid Ontario (Class 'G') driver's licence and the use of a reliable vehicle
CUPE 1764 Salary Grade 5
This position is with Salary Grade 5 and will be paid at the following hourly rates:
- Start: $33.86 - Six Month: $35.74 - Job: $37.62
Conditions of Employment
Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will be required prior to start date.
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online (www.durham.ca) no later than midnight on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Consultant will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region's Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.
Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/regionofdurham Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/regionofdurham