This position is temporary and it is expected to last up to 13 months.
Reporting to the Project Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that methods and quality standards for Regional capital construction projects are constructed in accordance with Regional Standards and general contract administration for Regional capital projects. The incumbent will:
- Supervise the work and check accomplishments of construction staff, including Construction Inspectors and Senior Project Coordinator
- Examine and comment on drawings, specifications, and compare with the proposed site and Region's requirements
- Respond to enquiries from suppliers and contractors related to contract and regional requirements
- Liaise with engineering consultants, contractors and design staff regarding site-specific requirements or concerns for each proposed project when change requests are made and negotiate reasonable prices that are in the best interest of the Region
- Approve contract change directives/change orders and administer contractual payments according to the Region's Budgetary Management Policy
- Attend construction meetings, representing Regional interests, and provide direction on issues/problems to consulting engineers and contractors
- Supervise installation and construction of site work according to contract requirements and verify compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Region's Health and Safety Policies &Procedures Manual, applicable OPS and Regional Standards and other Regulatory Agencies (MOE, MNR, etc.)
- Establish substantial performance and/or completion dates for contractual work and initiate certificates
- Provide monthly update projections for project status reports and recommend mitigating measures to minimize any project cost overruns
- Establish procedures to maintain accurate and current documentation, inspection records, etc. to ensure quality control and train/mentor staff as required
The successful applicant will possess:
- A three-year diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Registration or eligible for registration as a Technologist or equivalent with O.A.C.E.T.T.
- Extensive construction experience related to capital construction projects and knowledge of Heavy Civil Engineering and Construction Techniques
- Demonstrated negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of the Health and Safety Act, Construction Lien Act, Basics of Contract Law Principles, Construction and Business Ethics, Ontario Provincial Standard Specs and Regional Standard Specifications
- Experience working with various computer system applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Project) and PeopleSoft (FIMS and HCM)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven leadership abilities
- A vaild Ontario Class G Driver's Licence and the use of a vehicle
Management & Exempt Salary Grade 6
- Salary: $85,114 to $106,392 per annum
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online (www.durham.ca) to Job ID 10048 no later than midnight on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Consultant will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region's Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.
Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/regionofdurham
Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/regionofdurham