Department/Division: Transportation & Environmental Services/Transit Services
Hours of Work: working up to 32 hours per week
Union: Unifor 4304
Wage: $19.15 – $27.97 per hour
Location: Various locations within the Region of Waterloo
We are hiring a pool of talented individual who have great people skills, customer-friendly and focused on safety. Grand River Transit hires approximately 50-70 part-time Bus Operators per year; as such we accept applications on an ongoing basis.
Being a Bus Operator is about much more than safely driving a bus. GRT wants Bus Operators who are customer service focused and enjoy interacting with the public. GRT Bus Operators are role models of safe driving and, courteous and kind behaviour, which sets the tone for our passengers to enjoy their ride with us.
In addition to accepting applications from drivers with a BZ and CZ licence, GRT is now accepting applications from drivers with a Class G licence (including A, D, E, & F licences) who are eligible to obtain a BZ licence. GRT will cover the cost of upgrading to a BZ Licence for qualified applicants.
The path to a rewarding full time career at GRT starts with being hired as a part time Operator. Part-time employees can work up to 32 hours per week (with the possibility of full time temp work- 40 hours per week) and must provide availability for no less than eight (8) full shifts per month, including four (4) weekend dates per month (weekend dates include Friday, Saturday and Sunday). In some circumstances 12 shifts will need to be provided.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
Applicants must have:
• A grade 12 education or equivalent, be at least 21 years of age, plus hold a class BZ driver’s license and two years driving and customer service experience; and
• Obtain a satisfactory pre-health assessment and vulnerable police records check that is satisfactory to the Region of Waterloo
• A grade 12 education or equivalent, be at least 21 years of age, plus a hold a valid G (including A, D, E & F licences) class driver’s license, with 3 years driving and customer service experience, and eligibility to obtain a BZ class driver’s license;
• A driver’s abstract that is satisfactory both to the Ministry of Transportation and the Region of Waterloo, and a pre-health assessment and a vulnerable police record check that is satisfactory to the Region of Waterloo.
• Applicants who hold a Class G Licence (including A, D, E & F licences) must meet the provincial requirements for a Class B driver’s Licence.
For additional information please check the Ministry of Transportation website at: http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Licencing-Requirements.aspx
Please apply online, by the closing date Dec 31, 2018 quoting competition number 2018-1150, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.